Mauls and Gavels

oak hawthorne oakpresentation maul set of gavels
elm brass bound gavels boxed blocks & gavels
Click on the images to see larger versions and full details

Mauls and gavels are often confused. A maul looks like a lollipop and a gavel looks like a hammer. Gavels were used for shaping while mauls were for setting blocks in place. There is also a 'heavy setting maul', that looks like a monstrous wooden hammer, used nowadays for setting slabs. This is sometimes called a "beetle".

I had a fascinating session with a French Brother about naming these things at 2am one morning. We got out the big French/English dictionary and the encyclopeadias. Oddly enough, the French names made a lot more sense -- or was it the amount of brandy we had drunk?